Jonathan performed a series of organ recitals
between 2008-12 on
the Renn & Boston Organ of St. Philip's Church Salford.
YOU CAN WATCH A DOCUMENTARY ABOUT THE ORGAN BELOW
ORGAN OF ST. PHILIP'S, SALFORD
1829 Renn & Boston, Manchester
Samuel Renn was born
in 1786 at Kedleston Hall near Derby, where his father was a coachman
to Sir Nathaniel Curzon. In 1799 Samuel was sent to London as apprentice
to his uncle, the organ builder James Davis. Renn soon became a highly
skilled craftsman and he was appointed Davis' foreman at the age of
In 1822 Renn took over Davis' business in London and in 1823 he moved
to Stockport to work with John Boston. Technically and tonally Renn
continued the tradition and methods established by James Davis in
the 1790's and continued to build organs in the 18th Century style
until his death in the 1845.
The Organ of St. Philip's
Church, Salford was built in 1829 at a cost of £400 and was
originally enclosed in the room at the west end of the church with
only the façade visible. An interesting feature of the organ
is its 'grand piano' console which allowed the organist not only to
be sat at a distance from the pipes, but also to conduct the choir
or other instrumentalists who could be situated on the surrounding
staging. In 1873 the firm of Alexander Young & Co. moved the entire
organ forward to its present position in the west gallery. This allowed
the instrument to speak more clearly into the church and provide a
parish hall in the space now available behind the organ. Young also
added a tremulant, a Great T.C. Clarinet, a Pedal 16' Open Diapason,
a Swell to Pedal coupler and replaced the Great twelfth with a T.C.
was subsequently cleaned and restored in 1915 by Wadsworth & Co
and in 1963 by N.P. Mander of London. Mander's rebuild was sympathetic
to the historical importance of the instrument and reversed some of
the 1873 changes by Young bringing the organ closer to its original
1829 tonal state. A new tracker action and pedal board was made, the
Great Clarinet was removed and the Great Dulciana was replaced by
a Twelfth which is made up of Renn pipes from the dismantled 1843
organ of New Jerusalem Church, Peter Street, Manchester. The organ
is universally regarded as the finest surviving example of Renn's
work and is a rare example of British 19th Century organ building.
Pedal Compass - C-e1
Open Diapason 16'
Bourdon 16' (added 1873, TP action)
Great Compass - C - f3
Open Diapason I8'
Open Diapason II 8'
Stopt Diapason 8'
Twelfth 2 2/3' (Second-Hand 1963: Renn pipes of 1843)
Sesquialtera III (17.19.22/12.15.17 mid c)
Swell Compass- C - f3
Keys 54 Enclosed
Open Diapason 8' t.c.
Stopt Diapason 8' (permanent)
Principal 4' t.c.
Fifteenth 2' t.c.
Hautboy 8' t.c.
Cornopean 8' t.c.
Tremulant (added 1873)
Key & Stop Action
Swell to Pedal (added 1873)
Swell to Great
Great to Pedal
4 composition lever pedals to Great
2 composition lever pedals to Swell
Ratchet Swell pedal
the Swell is in a TC box and the bass of Swell derives from the
unenclosed Stopt Bass which is permanently on.